Sunday, September 23, 2012

Book review: George R.R. Martin's "Game of Thrones"

I made the mistake of trying to read this book the same week I was packing to move and finishing my final two weeks at my job. Needless to say, I spent too much time reading and not enough sleeping. It was so exciting.

Martin writes the book so that every chapter follows the perspective of a different character. This is actually one of my favorite styles of writing. I feel that books that allow you to intimately connect with multiple characters are so much stronger. The technique also allows Martin to bring the reader along to multiple locations and multiple story lines.

The story starts in what I found to be a somewhat slow manner, but nothing about the book is truly slow. The plot always had me guessing who was trustworthy, who was acting smartly and who was just making mistake after mistake, and who really had the upper hand in the game of thrones. The twists were as they should be- completely shocking to me.

I really appreciated that the title is actually the theme of the book, a theme that the characters all come to realize in their own time and their own way. Children are forced to grow up, adults are forced to play games that they would rather stay out of, and royalty is forced to see what a crown really is. The winter is coming and the realm is in turmoil.

The most interesting thing about the book though, is Martin's killing off of major characters. One minute I am there reading the story of a character whom I wasn't too fond of, the next, said character is dead. It's a hard pill to swallow as I had assumed that he would be instrumental in the series, but at the same time, it's exciting to wonder where the story will go without him there. Martin is fearless in doing what most authors would run from, and the result is phenomenal.

I don't want to give ANYTHING away, so all I can say is GO BUY THE BOOK!!! It's a good read and I can't wait to read the next instillation in the series.


-KABO


No comments:

Post a Comment